A roasted eggplant salad as Turkish meze or Italian antipasto
· 1 large eggplant
· 1 red pepper, cut into long, 1/2″ strips
· 1 medium onion, quartered, then sliced lengthwise
· 1/4 cup regular Olive Oil
· 3 T extra virgin olive oil
· juice of 1/2 lemon
· 1 T of rice vinegar
· 2 t fresh oregano, chopped
· 2 T fresh parsley, chopped
· 1 T capers
· 6-8 pepperoncini, seeded, then sliced lengthwise
· 4 cloves garlic, mashed with flat of knife, peeled and chopped
1. Cut the eggplant into large slices, about 4″ long and 3/4″ square. Set oven to broil medium.
2. Place sliced peppers and onions with 3T olive oil in a large plastic bag, tossing until evenly coated. Then place mixture on an oiled baking sheet and put it under the broiler. Check every 4-5′ -turning as they brown. Remove pieces that start to char. When finished, place in large salad bowl, and let cool.
3. Put the eggplant in the plastic bag used for the other vegetables and add the rest of the 1/4 cup of regular olive oil. Toss to cover, then place mixture on the baking sheet, and broil for 10-15′, again checking every 4-5′. When done, add to the pepper mixture.
4. Mix in the condiments, then add the dressing, toss and refrigerate. This dish will keep for several days if refrigerated, so may be made ahead of time.